The Statutes of Intellectual Property Left
The Statutes of Intellectual Property Left \'IPLeft\'
Enactment on February, 2001
First revision on March, 2005
Chapter Ⅰ General Provisions
Article 1. Name
The name of organization shall be called "Intellectual Property Left \'IPLeft\'".
Article 2 Purpose
The purpose of IPLeft is to examine the existing intellecual property regimes and to make alternative system that all the people can have equitable access to knowledge and culture.
Article 3 Functions
To achieve the purpose of the organization, IPLeft shall organize the following activities :
1. To examine the intellectual property rights system
2. To study, research and make the alternative system to create knowledge and culture
3. To reform the actual intellectual property rights system
4. To spread the understanding of the intellectual property rights system: publication and education
5. To establish international solidarity with foreign progressive groups
6. To do other related works
Article 4 Seat
The main office of IPLeft shall be located in Seoul.
Chapter Ⅱ Membership
Article 5 Qualification
1. Anyone who agree with the purpose and mission of IPLeft can be a member.
2. Anyone who has participated our activity in fixed-term and paid membership fees over three times can be a full member. Additional qualifications of the full membership shall be decided by executive committee. (revision March, 2005)
Article 6 Membership and secession
To be a member, application form shall be submitted according to the procedure decided by executive committee. When the member submit secession form, then she/he will lose membership.
Article 7 Classification, Rights and duties
1. Membership consists of full membership and associate membership.
2. The full members shall have the right to participate in decision-making in the general assembly and all activities of IPLeft.
3. The associate members shall be provided resources of IPLeft and have the right to participate in all activities of IPLeft.
4. Members are obliged to comply with the Statutes and the Regulations of IPLeft, and to pay membership dues.
Article 8 Expulsion of members
Members who have abandoned their duties or who have seriously undermined the honor of IPLeft shall be expelled in accordance with the decision of executive committee. If the member wants to appeal against the decision of executive committee, she/he can ask re-consideration in the general assembly.
Chapter Ⅲ General Assembly
Article 9 Composition and Convocation of General Assembly
1. The General Assembly is the supreme decision-making organ of IPLeft.
2. Regular general meeting shall be convened by the representative once a year.
3. Extraordinary general meetings shall be held upon the notice of convocation by the representative, with the written request of executive committee or more than one third of full members, within a month of the request.
4. The representative must notify the agenda to members, 5 days prior to the meeting.
5. The representative shall be the chairperson of general assembly. When the representative can\'t attend the meeting, executive committee can elect the chairperson.
Article 10 Functions of the General Assembly
The General Assembly shall have the following functions :
1. Election and release of offices
2. Approval of action plan and the annual statement of accounts and the closing accounts.
3. Amendment of the Statute
4. Dissolution or union of organization
5. Passing resolutions on agendas raised by executive committee or more than one third of full members
6. Passing resolutions on other important issues
Article 11 Quorum
1. The General Assembly shall form a quorum when a simple majority of the full members are present, and resolutions shall be passed also by a simple majority of the present members. However, the resolutions on the amendment of statute shall be passed by two third of present members, and dispersion of organization shall be decided by the approval of two third of full members.
2. A member can entrust other member with voting right. In this case, a member who entrust shall be regarded as present member.
Chapter Ⅳ Officers and Organization
Article 12 Composition of officers
1. A representative
2. 5 to 20 executive committee members
3. an auditor
Article 13 The duties of offices
1. A representative shall represent IPLeft and take a charge of general management of IPLeft.
2. Executive committee members shall inspect and decide main issues on IPLeft activities in the executive committee meeting.
3. An auditor shall inspect the business and finances of IPLeft, and report to the general assembly and executive committee.
Article 14 Term of officers
The term of officers is 2 years and reappointment is possible. The term of replacement officer is the remainder of the term of previous officer.
Article 15 Organization
1. IPLeft has general assembly, executive committee, secretariat and advisory committee. (revision March, 2005)
2. IPLeft can build and run annex instituions for the effective business.
3. IPLeft can build and run working groups under the executive committee for the purpose of business execution.
4. Establishment or abolition of annex institutions must be approved by the executive committee.
Chapter Ⅴ Executive Committee
Article 16 Composition and Convocation of the executive committee
1. The executive committee shall be a inspection and decision-making body of IPLeft.
2. The executive committee shall consist of the representative and executive committee members. The executive committee meeting shall be convened by the representative.
Article 16-2 Qualification of Executive Committee member
1. Executive committee member can be elected from the full members with 2 or more year careers.
2. Anyone whohas participated our activity in fixed-term and has paid membership fees more than three times can be a full member. Additional qualifications of the full membership shall be decided by executive committee. (revision March, 2005)
Article 17 Functions of the Executive Committee
The Executive Committee shall have the following functions :
1. Inspection of action plan and the annual statement of accounts and the closing accounts.
2. Appointment and dismissal of Secretary-General
3. Approval of accounts execution
4. Establishment and abolition of annex institutions
5. Discipline of members
6. Passing resolutions on other important issues
Article 18 Quorum
1. The executive committee shall form a quorum when a simple majority of the executive committee members are present, and resolutions shall be passed also by a simple majority of the present executive committee members.
2. An executive committee member can entrust other executive committee member with voting right. In this case, an executive committee member who entrust shall be regarded as present.
Chapter 6 Secretariat
Article 18-2 Secretariat
1. IPLeft shall have a secretary-general and secretariat staffs
2. Some of secretariat staffs can be full-timers.
3. Secretary-General shall take a charge of execution of works and finances.
Chapter 6-2 Advisory Committee (revision March, 2005)
Article 18-3 Advisory Committee
1. IPLeft can have an advisory committee for the purpose of advice to the executive committee .
2. A representative shall appoint the advisory committee members through the discussion of the executive committee.
3. Executive committee shall decide the composition and execution of the advisory committee.
Chapter 7 Finance and accounts
Article 19 Fiscal year
The fiscal year of IPLeft shall coincide with the calendar year (January 1 to December 31) But, the account of the year when IPLeft is founded, shall be included in the account of next year.
Article 20 Fund Raising
Fund raising of IPLeft shall include membership fees, donations, and other incomes.
Article 21 Budgets
Within a month from the beginning of a new fiscal year, executive committee must submit a report on the budget plans to the general assembly. The general assembly can decide the modification of the budget.
Article 22 Settlement of accounts
Within a month from the end of a previous fiscal year, executive committee must submit a report on the budget plans to the general assembly, after inspection of the auditor.
Chapter 8 Supplementary rules
Article 23 Rules for Application
Items not defined in the Statutes shall follow the Regulations of the executive committee or commonsense and social conventions.